Nutty Carrot Cake with Buttercream Frosting - Q's Kitchen

Nutty Carrot Cake with Buttercream Frosting

It's the last post of the year and wow, what a year it has been; full of trials, tribulations and triumphs. This last stretch has been somewhat challenging, but I've been determined to have a positive outlook. I recently unearthed my diary that I started at the beginning of the year and although it is very much incomplete and was abandoned back it March - the page on my new year resolutions shed some much needed light on some of my achievements of the year. 
As for my hopes for 2019, I pray for happiness in abundance, peace, prosperity, health, opportunities, adventure, the good type of change and to become the best version of myself possible Ø¥Ù† شاء الله‎
Now as for last recipe of the year, I wanted it to be something familiar and comforting and nothing expresses that better for me that this carrot cake. This particular recipe is from an old book that my dad got for my mum years and years ago (I think its older than me!). Some of my earliest baking memories are linked to this book, I remember I would love to flick through the pages and devour all the beautiful pictures - the first recipe I ever tried (oatmeal cookies) was also from this cookery book, so it will always hold a special place on my shelf.
I couldn't even tell you the number of times we have made this carrot cake over the years, its featured at many a teatime table and even as a birthday cake - its really that good. 

So without further ado, to make this Nutty Carrot Cake with Buttercream Frosting you will need the following ingredients:
- Carrots
 - Caster sugar
- Brown sugar (soft or granulated)
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Eggs
- Sunflower oil
-  Cinnamon / mixed spice
- Walnuts, almonds, cashews
- Raisins
Begin by grating 290g of peeled carrots, the original recipe suggested a larger quantity so feel free to increase if you so wish. I try to reduce the amount of liquid in the cake so that the end cake is not quite so 'wet'
Then using at electric mixer beat together 4 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla essence, 55g caster sugar, 115g of brown sugar and 195 ml of sunflower oil. Sift in the dry ingredients - 220g of plain flour, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp salt, fold in well.
Mix in the grated carrots, 115g of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews etc.) and 70g of raisins. Pour the mixture in to lined baking tin and bake in a Gas Mark 4 oven for around 40-45 minutes until cooked and springy to the touch. 
To make the buttercream icing with an electric mixer beat 70g of butter until pale and soft, add 140g of sifted icing sugar and combine with a few tablespoons of milk (or water). Beat on a high speed until well combined and soft. Spread this onto the top the cooled cake and make ridges using a pallet knife, sprinkle on some chopped pistachio nuts.
Slice into squares and serve with tea or coffee
This cake also tastes amazing the next day when the flavours have settled and intensified. 
😋
Enjoy!
Q x
P.S - I had such issues with this post! The lighting was awful when I wanted to take pictures because winter. I wrote the draft when we had no electricity/gas (renovation struggles) and when I was trying to post it the internet wasn't working. My cousin's baby was also over at our house so it was a bit chaotic and to top it of, I really wan't feeling well! However I preserved because I really wanted to get it up before the 1st. So to anyone still reading.. Happy Near Year! I hope it is everything you wish it to be x 

No comments