The Ultimate Porridge - Q's Kitchen

The Ultimate Porridge


It's nearing the end of the working week and I am ridiculously exhausted - 'throw a mini pizza into the oven because you can't cook' kinda tired, and if there's one thing you know about me is that I love to cook, so obviously this is a catastrophe. But if I have to name one redeeming thing about this week (in terms of food of course) then it has to be that I made a big batch of my Ultimate Porridge one morning and so far breakfasts have been amazing.
Now I'll be honest, I've only quite recently gotten into eating porridge and this is because I finally figured out a method to making my ideal porridge as opposed to a gloopy mess. 
By gloopy mess I'm referring to all the ghost's of bad porridges past, this goes as far back as childhood - I remember not liking it despite the whole Goldilocks and the three Bears aspect and now in recent years where my tastes have evolved from food in boxes with cartoon characters on the front (I still like Coco Pops though) I found myself really wanting to venture into porridge territory.  
I tried all sorts of recipes mostly resulting in an austere gruel, not even Oliver Twist would have said 'please sir, can I have some more', I also tried some shop-bought mixtures and the over-night oats that everyone raves about but it just wasn't to my liking. 
Then during attempt number a hundred and something (I exaggerate) I ended up added 'too much' milk and leaving it to cook a bit too long but the end result was great!
A fine, smooth porridge which just the right amount of texture.
Now everyone might have different preferences but give this recipe a go and you may be pleasantly surprised! When I say recipe, its actually more of a method i.e. cooking times/what to look for at different stages throughout the process etc, rather than exacting quantities - this means you can adjust to make one bowl just for you or an entire pot full (just for you).

So to make this, you will need a few very basic ingredients:
Porridge oats, water, milk, your choice of sugar, cinnamon, cardamon & toppings! but we'll get to that later  
To start with put a saucepan onto the hob and add in your water. Let this simmer on medium heat whilst you pop in some cardamom and allow the water to infuse with the flavour - I love adding this spice to a lot of dishes because its aromatic and adds a subtle warmth (try it your chai next time!)
Once the water it suitably bubbling simply pour in your oats.
Then whisk, whisk, whisk! Make sure that the heat isn't on too high and as you whisk your notice everything getting thicker. 
The trick here is to cook it for a few minutes, if you don't I end result is a slightly stodgier porridge.
Now just pour in your desired quantity of milk and of course remember to keep whisking, this ensures that there are no clumpy bits.
Don't forget the cinnamon, my favourite winter spice alongside cardamom of course & a tablespoon of brown sugar.
Once everything is in there you need to let it simmer further, that's the key to the ultimate porridge, letting it all cook slowly and steadily because this creates a creamy, silky base. 
Once the milk starts to rise give it a last quick stir, turn of the heat, pop on the lid and you are done!
As for the toppings, you can go with what ever your heart desires but this is one of my favourite combinations. 
Sliced banana for a creamy sweetness, cranberries add a sharp flavour, a scattering of almonds for crunch, a drizzle of raw honey for more syrupy sweetness and finally a sprinkle of cinnamon. 
The perfect breakfast for a bright frosty morning!
😋
Enjoy!
Q x

No comments